Sunday, February 19, 2012

Big girl(s) bed

 Ella has one of those Convertible Cribs. She used it as a toddler bed for a long time, and now it was time to upgrade to the full size. Our plan is for the the girls to share a room, so while a full size bed might seem like much for a 3 year old, its just right for a 3 year old and a 16 month old. Thea has been sleeping with us since she was born, so I have no concerns about her sleeping in a big bed. I did want to keep the bed low to the ground though, easier for Thea to climb in, and less of a fall if she does fall out.

So the plan was to use the slats from Ikea in lieu of a boxspring. The one problem is that our bed doesn't have a center rail to rest the slats on. I asked them at Ikea about it, and the guy said that it wouldn't be a problem, that the slats attach. Um, no, they don't. Off to Home Depot to see how I can make this work.

I pre-measured the bed before I left, specifically the length of the bed and the height of the side cleats from the floor (77" and 8" respectively).

I ended up with a 2x8 and six 8x8 steel brackets. They cut the 2x8 to just inside the mark of 77" (my request, just to make sure it fits inside the bed and not scratch it) for me, and after grabbing some 1 1/4" wood screws, home we went.

When I first stood the 2x8 in the center, I checked it against the cleats - perfectly flush. Unfortunately the brackets stood above the 2x8 by a 1/4". I had a moment of "AAAH!", and then I placed the slats on top to see, and low and behold, the slats are 1/4" thick, so the brackets become flush. Yay!

So I preceded to screw the brackets on, lining them up with the slats laying down in the picture. With the brackets, the 2x8 is free standing (and strong!) and I didn't have to attach anything to the bed (which keeps it functional as a crib or toddler bed if need be down the line).

Here is is with the slats on. It works! Phew!

And their bed all read to go!*



*Bed is Rockland, Cottage Bed, JC Penny's. Sheets are Ladybugs from Target. Quilt is made by my Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment